Thursday, July 3, 2014

Embro Highland Games 2014

This Canada Day (July 1st) I very happily made a drive out into rural Ontario for the 77th Embro Highland Games. Located within Zorra Township (close to Woodstock, Ontario), Embro is a small village set amongst rolling green fields of corn and pasture. By chance I happened to hear about the Games on the radio, and decided to visit.

There were a number of events taking place throughout the day: tug-of-war, caber toss, hammer throw, stone throw, pipe band competitions, and highland dance competitions. I also watched a sheep herding demonstration and was able to peruse the vendors' stalls. It was great to hear the pipe music and see so many people in kilts celebrating the culture.

There were really only two things that I found to be a bit disappointing about the Games: There was no haggis, and not enough vendors. I am a big fan of haggis - I love it. I was hoping that this would be a great opportunity to eat some and take some home with me for later. I settled for a steak and haggis pie that was mostly steak (and still delicious). As for vendors, I was hoping to see more in way of traditional crafts, or products from traditional Scottish livestock.

The cover charge is a bit steep at $15 for this small (but long-running) event, but it was a fun day out in the sun in bucolic Southern Ontario, and I'd recommend it for next year.

Sources
Embro Highland Games Website
You can buy some pretty decent haggis from The Healthy Butcher in Toronto and in Kitchener.

No comments:

Post a Comment